BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS

Deadly Choices and Wynnum Manly Seagulls 

Four men smile in front of a Deadly Choices sign. A man in the middle is holding up his Wynnum Manly Seagulls x Deadly Choices jersey.

The BMD Wynnum Manly Seagulls are excited to announce the relocation of their Round 19 Hostplus Cup match to Ron Stark Oval on North Stradbroke Island (Minjerribah). 

This will be an Indigenous recognition match, proudly supported by Deadly Choices, Yulu-Burri-Ba, Redland City Council and Straddie Sharks held on Sunday 13 August. 

Seagulls staff and players will also visit the island in the days leading up to the game to engage in activities to help promote healthy lifestyles. 

Wynnum Manly Seagulls CEO Wayne Weekes said the club was proud to partner with Deadly Choices since 2014 to showcase the connection between First Nations people and the great game of rugby league. 

“As a rugby league club, we wholeheartedly support maintaining a healthy lifestyle,” Mr Weekes said. 

“We embrace the opportunity that our platform provides us to bring people closer together and to spread positive messages throughout the community. 

“Our partnership with Deadly Choices and Redland City Council allows us to form a supportive network to help people lead a healthy life. 

“We’re excited for August 13 and we’d like to recognise Deadly Choices and Redland City Council, as this event would not be possible without their support.” 

Yulu-Burri-Ba Health Service CEO David Collins expressed his excitement about returning to Minjerribah for a rematch in 2023 following last year’s unfortunate loss against the Central Queensland Capras. 

“We’re excited to return to North Stradbroke Island in 2023, which will be well received by locals while providing an opportunity for Wynnum supporters more broadly to venture over to the island and enjoy a unique cultural experience. 

“This game also provides an amazing opportunity for us to encourage positive health practices by incentivising health checks for supporters to receive a limited edition Deadly Choices Seagulls shirt. 

“It’s a promotion that has worked extremely well for us with the ongoing support of Wynnum Seagulls, particularly in ensuring our younger people are encouraged to live healthy, deadly lives.” 

Councillor Peter Mitchell (representative of Cleveland / North Stradbroke Island) said this game is much more than just a rugby league match. 

“Redland City Council is proud to be partnering with all parties again for this Indigenous recognition match in 2023. 

“This is a great annual event for sports lovers on the Redlands Coast, but it’s much more than a game of football. 

“Could there be a more picturesque place to host a game of football? Events such as this benefit local businesses and operators immensely. 

“It’s a wonderful community day out, with food stalls, markets and the opportunity to promote the amazing Minjerribah. Please come out and support this event on Sunday 13 August at Ron Stark Oval.” 

image-dot-post

Share this post

bg-post-related

OTHER NEWS & EVENTS

VIEW ALL

Deadly Choices Men’s Golf Day

Sign up for the Men's Golf Day 2026 and enjoy a deadly day on the green!
READ MORE
Deadly Choices launch group photo

Deadly Choices 2026 Season Launch

The event marks the program’s 16th anniversary empowering Mob and brought together key partners to share Deadly Choices' impact.
READ MORE

Deadly Choices and Tennis Australia Are Hitting Differently 

Deadly Choices and Tennis Australia are hitting Community Controlled Health differently, offering Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community members who complete their 715 Health Check the chance to experience the 2026 Australian Open, including tickets, flights, and accommodation for Evonne Goolagong-Cawley Day (First Nations Day).  Deadly Choices, an initiative of the Institute for Urban Indigenous Health (IUIH), […]
READ MORE
VIEW ALL
acknowledgement

Deadly Choices acknowledges the Gubbi Gubbi, Turrbal, and Jinibara people as the Traditional Custodians of the lands, seas, and waterways where we work.  We pay respect to Elders past and present.

This website contains images, names, and voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who have passed away. With permission from their families, we have continued to use their images to acknowledge and honour their contributions in making our communities healthy and strong.

background acknowledgement modal
Link copied to clipboard