- Tobacco smoking is the largest single preventable cause of death and disease in Australia
- There are approx. 19,000 smoking related deaths each year
- 47% of Indigenous People smoke compared to 17% of the Australian population
- Smokes are about $20 per pack, so if you smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a day you’ll spend $7280 per year!
- Adults need 30 minutes of physical activity every day. Teenagers and children need 60 minutes of activity a day to stay healthy. How much exercise do you get?
- Physical activity can help prevent heaps of health conditions including: cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Daily physical activity helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, helps prevent osteoporosis, and helps reduce obesity, symptoms of anxiety and depression, and symptoms of arthritis.
- Walking is the most common physical activity. Gardening is the second most popular physical activity, so it’s easy to do!
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it kicks starts your metabolism and helps you concentrate at school, work and play.
- Drink water when you’re thirsty instead of soft drinks.
- Eat more fruit and veggies – aim to eat 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables each day to be ‘Deadly’ and healthy.
- Get your vitamin C from oranges as they are a great source of energy.